Stain removal from the sofa – but properly!
Stains on the sofa, as well as heavier large-scale soiling, eventually arise from normal use and mishaps of family members. Some may not be removed during routine cleaning.
- To avoid having to use scissors on the stain, the affected area can be lathered with neutral soap, special upholstery cleaning agents or – in the case of leather – special leather care soap. To do this, ideally use a white, lint-free cloth and work the cleaning agent in while gently dabbing.
- Then remove any foam residue from the surface with a dry kitchen paper and dab the area with dry kitchen paper.
- Then re-treat the foamed area with clean, distilled water and finish by lightly pressing dry kitchen paper onto the surface to remove moisture.
- Do not use your sofa again until the cover is completely dry. If the manufacturer recommends certain cleaning agents, use only them to be on the safe side, especially during the warranty period.
Attention: Stain removal can also go wrong
Basically, you should test all stain removal products on an inconspicuous part of the sofa beforehand! Does the cover discolor? Or does the surface change? Then it’s better to stay away from the product. Stains on the sofa are still better than a broken upholstery fabric! Also, always follow the manufacturer’s care instructions.
Start immediately with the stain removal
Stain removal is easiest when you start as soon as possible. Dried stains are always much harder to remove. Coarse dirt can be removed with a dry paper towel. For liquid spills, apply a dry cloth or paper towel as soon as possible and then blot to prevent further seepage into the cover.
The further procedure depends very much on the type of stain. However, if possible, work from the edge of the stain to its center, so as not to increase the size of the stain.
By the way, often the home remedy of baking soda is enough to remove stains from the sofa.
Protein-containing substances such as sperm
Substances containing protein, such as raw eggs, sperm, blood, feces and urine, should be washed out immediately with cold distilled water, as warm water causes the protein to coagulate and the stain to take hold. Then, if necessary, treat with neutral soap, special stain remover or the cleaning agent recommended by the manufacturer. Treat with clear distilled water.
Food and beverages, cosmetics, perfume, pens, ink, etc.
Treat these substances immediately with cold or lukewarm neutral soap solution or the cleaning agent recommended by the manufacturer. Re-treat with clear distilled water.
Varnish, resin, lubricating oil, glue, etc.
As a rule, these substances can only be removed with benzine or stain remover, as such substances are not water-soluble. Particular care is required here. The solvent can attack the color and even lead to fiber loss, especially in the case of flocking substances. Therefore, test first in an inconspicuous place!
Candle wax stains on the sofa
It is best to crumble the wax and scrape it off carefully. If necessary, rework with benzine or special stain remover.
Chewing gum, plasticine
Place a cold pack or ice cubes packed in a tight bag on the stain. When the gum or kneaded gum has hardened, it is usually easy to remove.
Dissolve citric acid powder (from the pharmacy) in water (one tablespoon to 150 ml water) and soak a white cloth with it. Work the stain from the edge to the center. Rework with clear, distilled water.
What to do if there is no distilled water in the house?
Just made a stain on the sofa but don’t have any distilled water in the house? Instead of going shopping first, treat the stain with tap water and follow up later with distilled water to remove any lime scale marks again.
- 🌱 NATÜRLICH SAUBER: Unser schonender Spezial-Polsterreiniger entfernt auch...
- 🌱 NATÜRLICH PERFEKTE PFLEGE: Das feuchte Shampoo löst selbst lange...
- 🌱 NATÜRLICH KRAFTVOLL: Unser Reiniger wurde speziell für die Entfernung...
- Unsere Produkte werden in Deutschland entwickelt, produziert und von hier...
- Der PURATEX Intensivreiniger entfernt selbst hartnäckige Verschmutzungen. Der...
- Den Reiniger auf das beiliegende Tuch, nicht auf den Bezug, direkt aufsprühen....
- Multi Interior Cleaner
- 750ml - Sprühflasche
- Original Koch Chemie
Last updated on 2024-02-24 at 13:57. The stated price may have increased since the last update. The actual price of the product as it stood on the seller's website at the time of purchase is decisive for the sale. Real-time updating of the above prices is not technically possible. * = Affiliate links. Images from Amazon PA-API.